OFFICIAL WEBSITE. CHEAPER THAN ALL ONLINE TRAVEL AGENCIES
The art of the good life
With a privileged location between the Palacio Euskalduna and the Guggenheim Museum, the Meliá Bilbao will delight you with its stunning architecture and Basque cuisine with cutting-edge touches.
A perfect destination for art lovers
Bilbao stands out in Europe as one of the main references for architecture and contemporary art. We recommend visiting the following museums:
- The Bilbao Guggenheim Museum, a masterpiece of twentieth century architecture, which has turned Bilbao into an international recognized artistic centre.
- The Bilbao Museum of Fine Art, which has the second largest collection of classic art after El Prado in Madrid, with more than 6,000 works of art ranging from the 12th century to the present day.
- The Basque Museum, the Bullfighting Museum and the Diocesan Museum of Art are also recognized places of cultural interest
- The Sala Rekalde offers great contemporary art exhibitions.
- The Bilbao Maritime Museum promotes the preservation of the cultural and historical heritage that has led to the development of the maritime activity of the city’s Riá (estuary)
Main places of interest
You cannot leave Bilbao without visiting the city’s main sights and attractions including:
- Guggenheim Museum.
- Santiago Cathedral.
- Plaza Nueva.
- Arriaga Theatre.
- Palacio de la Diputación del Señorío de Vizcaya.
- Begoña Basilica.
- Museum of Fine Art.
Coastal city and biosphere reserve
A few kilometres from Bilbao are beautiful coastal landscapes and beaches: Aixerrota, Gorliz, Azkorri, Sopelana, Barrika and Plentzia.
Bilbao also has a Suspension Bridge, a spectacular viewpoint with stunning views of the Ría de Bilbao and Abra Bay.
Also noteworthy is the islet of San Juan de Gaztelugatxe for its undeniable natural beauty.
Traditional cuisine with universal fame
The Basque cuisine is vast and varied. Made from ingredients from the Cantabrian Sea (fish and shellfish) and from the interior (vegetables, pulses, cereals, meat, etc.)
Bilbao offers pintxos, a Basque tradition equivalent to tapas.
The Basque Country is also the region of the Iberian peninsula with most 1, 2 and 3 Michelin stars and has outstanding culinary schools.
Bilbao has a vibrant nightlife with different atmospheres suitable for all ages.
The Gran Casino, the night clubs, bars, pubs, discobars, discos and party rooms are some of the options you can find here. The majority are located in the city centre and are easy to reach.
A city of fashion
In the shops of the Ensanche and the Old Quarter there are excellent Spanish and international fashion boutiques and brands. Bilbao has a thriving clothing sector and many Basque designers have their own boutiques here.
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER
Subscribe to our newsletter and get our special offers and discounts delivered directly to your inbox