The Sustainable Development Plan consists of
two projects which aim to achieve our vision
and the dual mission. These in turn consist of
specific actions (subprojects).
Project1, named “Integrate the values and
principles of Sustainable Development in the
business”, is designed to internalise the commitment,
create the institutional framework
and make sustainable development a basic
and cohesive element of Sol Meliá. These are
the main actions and advances:
Sol Meliá personality: groups together all of
the actions related to corporate identity and
includes social, cultural and environmental
criteria in the building of a personality for Sol
Meliá and its brands. The main advances are:
- Approval of the Global Sustainability Policy,
a document that presents all the criteria
and action areas in which we aim to involve
the entire organisation.
- Review of the Brand Manuals by the Sustainability
- Incorporation of social and environmental
indicators in the Hotel Directory.
Environmental certification of hotels (see
Dialogue with stakeholders: from the
start, the Plan was designed as an instrument
to strengthen relations with stakeholders,
based on a belief that stakeholders have to
be involved in actions designed for them. In
2008 actions involving employees were prioritised,
and the advances were:
- Multi disciplinary group for the creation
of a prioritised stakeholders map (see case
- Dialogue group with kitchen personnel.
- Dialogue group with front desk personnel.
- Dialogue group with MSM (Meeting Sol
Meliá, congresses conventions and incentives) personnel.
Leading the debate: Sol Meliá takes an active
part in forums and meetings in the tourism
and sustainability sector. The company
aims to share its projects and strategies, learn
from others and find potential partners with
which to work.
The following are the main cooperative
projects and actions carried out in 2008:
- ENTORNO FOUNDATION:member of the
Entorno Foundation since 2008, collaborating
in the work group on Climate Change
and Energy. The collaboration has been reflected
in 3 publications (AcciónCO2, Cambio
Climático en la Comunidad Valenciana
- COMPANY AND SOCIETY FOUNDATION:foundation sponsors since 1998, having
formed part of the Company and Disability
Group and the Company and Volunteerism
- WORLD TOURISM ORGANISATION:affiliate
member since 2008, year in which a cooperation
agreement was signed with the organisation.
- WORLD TRAVEL & TOURISM COUNCIL
(WTTC):members of the council and of the
Fight Against Climate Change group.
- EXCELTUR: Sol Meliá holds the chairmanship
of the organisation. Took part in the
work group on Sustainability and Tourism.
- COMPANY AND GROWTH FOUNDATION: Sol Meliá has taken part in several projects
in Mexico with this organisation whose objective
is to channel funds into projects involving
SMEs in depressed areas.
- UNITED NATIONS WORLD PACT: following
Pact principles since October 2008.
Sol Meliá is also an active member of several
organisations and associations in the hotel industry,
such as the Spanish Federation of Hotels
and Tourist Accommodation and the Hotel
Chain Group, etc.
Other social responsibility and sustainable development
initiatives worth highlighting include:
- Inclusion of Sol Meliá in the Strategy Committee
of the International Organisation
against Sexual Exploitation.
- Inclusion of Sol Meliá in the CSR Commission
of the CEOE.
- Nomination of a representative in the RSE
State Council (substitute member)
Training and information: this line of work
was one of the main priorities in 2008. The
aim was that all Sol Meliá employees should
be aware of the project and its contents and
objectives in general, and also of the specific
actions which would guarantee the most important
aspects of our social and environment
commitments were assumed and understood
by everyone. The main advances have been:
- Two sustainability courses: Canary Islands hotels
and corporate offices. 57 people trained.
- Training about Celiac disease: definition
and pilot test. 15 people trained.
- Training in the Fight against Sexual Exploitation:
25,000 people trained.
- Launching of the Sustainable Development
Portal: 3,000 visits in 3 months.
- 340 employees trained about the Sustainable
- Definición junto con el área de Comunicación, del nuevo modelo de reporte en sostenibilidad.
With regard to projects related to information
management, highlights include:
- Definition, together with the Communication
Department, of a new format for the
- Creation of the Sustainable Development
Project 2, named “Implement the values and
principles of Sustainable Development in the
business, involving our stakeholders”, includes
specific actions aimed more directly at our
stakeholders: guests, employees, suppliers and
investors, from the social and environmental
The projects and main advances are reported
in the following chapters, in reference to