My name is Eñaut and I am the pintxos expert at the Tryp Orly. Below are some of the pintxo bars that I would go to if it were my first time in the city.
Very important! The tradition is to go from bar to bar ordering a pintxito and a drink. We recommend ordering a Txakoli, a young wine made in Getaria. Delicious!
PINTXOS IN THE OLD QUARTER
CALLE 31 DE AGOSTO
- Bar Martinez. A timless bar. Famous for the quality of preparation, plus the friendly staff. I recommend the “gamba gabardina” (prawn in a raincoat!)
- Bar La Cepa. Friendly and helpful staff and the wide choice of pintxos make this a not-to-be-missed classic bar. Carefully prepared Ibérico cured ham, tapas and pintxos
- Bar Gandarias. Unbeatable quality and fantastic service. Don’t miss the sirloin steak pintxo or the foie pintxo, as well as the skewers, especially the duck one. I recommend asking for a “DUO” (toasted goat’s cheese wrapped with bacon on roasted pepper)
- A Fuego Negro. More cutting edge. Experimental cuisine for lovers of new flavours. Don’t miss out on the mini hamburger and the duck salad
CALLE SAN JERÓNIMO
- Bar Gambara. A pintxo bar that simply makes our mouths water. Ideal for the more demanding clientele with top quality produce. Croissant stuffed with ham and wild mushrooms, cuttlefish, pastry with sausage and prawn in a raincoat. Superb service and delicious food. I especially recommend the changurro tartlet and the potato salad
- Bar Txepetxa. The anchovy is the queen of this classic bar in the old quarter. I highly recommend the anchovy with onion cream. Delicious!
- Bar Zeruko. One of my favourite bars. The classic pintxos blend with the more edgy and crafted one in this always busy place.
- “Bonfire” Pintxo
- Lobster toast
- Broken mussels
- Rosa de Bogavante
- “Txipiron – mango – foie”
- Artichoke with foie (only in season)
- Smoked eel
- Cannelloni with foie and mushroom, pita bread and Idiazabal cheese
- Fresh Spanish garlic with foie
- Suckling pig in mustard sauce
- And for dessert: “Lemon Bob”. I won’t tell you what’s in it, but will let you discover it for yourselves …
PINTXOS IN THE CITY CENTRE
CALLE SAN MARCIAL:
- Bar Rojo y Negro. Great variety of pintxos and tapas
- Bar La Espiga. Recently renovated, the most typical are the fried tapas: delicious, homemade and freshly made. I recommend ordering the beef “morros”
- Bar La Vida. A great choice of tapas at great prices. I recommend trying the linguini with pesto, tuna with caper and tomato sauce, prawns with saffron mayonnaise, squid with spicy chutney and seafood risotto. Simply wonderful!