"At Meliá Hotels International we aim to integrate the values and principles of sustainable development into our business processes and our relationship with all of our stakeholders (employees, clients, owners, investors, suppliers, society and the environment).
We believe that sustainability is a key factor which will allow tourism to continue to be a driver of economic growth. That is why we are committed to constant improvement and to ensure our future thanks to the responsible use of resources.
We would like our commitment and actions to help strengthen our relationship with our stakeholders. It makes us different and reinforces our position as a responsible, stable, safe and attractive company for all those who come to us."
CORPORATE COMMITMENTS TO...
We help conserve the environment, evaluating the impact of our activities and promoting awareness of sustainability amongst our stakeholders.
The local community
We contribute to the development of the local community, supporting and promoting their culture and traditional values.
We actively contribute to the generation of wealth and the sustainable development of the communities in which we operate, with a special focus on children and the most vulnerable.
MELIÁ DE MAR INITIATIVES
- We are a "Friend of UNICEF" hotel and take part in MHI's strategic partnership with UNICEF
- We participate in programmes to promote the responsible conservation of the destination
Architectural conservation and the responsible use of materials
- The building is considered part of the city's cultural heritage
- The hotel stands in a natural setting
- Environmentally-friendly materials were used in any rehabilitation work that may have been carried out
- Environmentally-friendly materials were used in any refurbishment work that may have been carried out in the hotel
- The furniture is made from recycled materials
Energy and Climate Change
- The hotel belongs to SAVE, Meliá Hotels International's Energy Efficiency Project (a corporate programme)
- There is a significant use of time switches and other lighting control systems
- We calculate our carbon and ecological footprints
- The hotel offers guests a compensation service for the emissions generated by their stay
- Our collaborators receive training in environmental issues
Local and Healthy Gastronomy
- The hotel hosts gastronomy events
- Culinary offer includes organic produce
- Culinary offer includes produce from ecological livestock farming and agriculture
- The menus feature locally-sourced produce prepared in its kitchens
- Special menus available for guests with specific dietary requirements or food intolerance
- The hotel has customer service agreements with nearby restaurants and businesses
Waste Management and Recycling
- There are closed agreements with suppliers designed to cut down on packaging
- The hotel uses products with a low environmental impact
- We use eco-friendly products
- Cultural and social events are organized regularly
- Guests are provided with details of cultural sites and activities in the surrounding area
- The hotel raises awareness of and promotes local culture (photography, painting, sculpture, music, dance, theatre and art)
- The design and décor features aspects of local traditions and culture
- Cultural events to promote local culture are organized at the hotel
- Local arts and craft are promoted and supported
Relations with responsible suppliers
- The hotel applies responsible policies, processes and agreements in its dealings with suppliers
- Where appropriate, we purchase local products that contribute to the development of the surrounding area
- Our gastronomic offer includes the use of seasonal products