N +40º 24' 41.61" / W -3º 41' 51.39"
Tel: (34) 91 3300500Fax: (34) 91 4201560
Check-in after 12:00h
Check-out until 12:00h
Atocha Street was one of the main thoroughfares in Madrid during the 17th and 18th centuries leading from the Royal Palace to the Plaza Mayor. When the Gran Via opened, however, Atocha lost some of the importance which it has now regained with the revival of the Arts Quarter.
Located in the heart of Madrid, in the so-called Triangle of Art and part of the Arts District (the most bohemian in the city) where tradition blends with innovation. Huertas street, to the rear of the building, is the Spanish literary street and it is surrounded by many historic places and buildings, such as the Ateneo, Caixa forum, Lope de Vega Studio-Museum and the Church of Jesus de Medinaceli.
In the 1920s the railway workers and staff of the Spanish Railway Workers Association were concerned about the fate of the children of deceased colleagues. King Alfonso XIII officially opened the first school in Madrid in 1926 which welcomed 600 students between the ages of 10 and 18.
In the 1940s a monthly payment was requested from all railways workers to maintain the Railway Association of Orphans. The school then had a solid financial base to meets the needs of the orphans.
The building was the headquarters of the Spanish Railway Workers Association. During the 1980s the majority of the schools began to close, and both buildings remained closed until the end of the decade.
The school was located in the building at 10 Moratín street, which today are guest rooms and the Santa Ana room, in its day the former school library. The old headquarters of the Spanish Railway Workers Association were located at 83 Atocha street and the Atocha Room was their board room. The building was built in 1913 by Ricardo García and José María Otamendi Machimbarrena Guereta (engineer).
The refurbishment was carried out in 1987 by José María Gómez-Santander Zataraín and the conversion of the two buildings into one single hotel took place between 2000 and 2002 by Manuel Blanco Díaz and José Antonio Morán Menéndez-Reverte.