Madrid is the capital of Spain and the political and financial centre of the country. Each year it is visited by thousands of tourists who are always delighted by the range of leisure and cultural activities and the sights the city has to offer.
MADRID: THE CITY OF MUSEUMS
The Spanish capital has 73 museums. Amongst them, and a short and pleasant walk from the Innside Madrid Suecia, is the Prado Museum, the Reina Sofía and the Thyssen Bornemisza where many important paintings are exhibited such as Guernica by Picasso, The Maids of Honour by Velázquez and The Third of May 1808 by Goya. Also in Madrid is the well-known Wax Museum, the Naval Museum, the Museum of America, the Military Museum, the Temple de Debod, the Real Fábrica de Tapices and the Book Museum.
- Palacio Real - 1.7km
- Gran Via - 200m
- Plaza de España - 2km
- Plaza Mayor – 1.2km
- Temple of Debod – 2.2km
- Cuatro Torres (financial district) - 13km
- Almudena Cathedral – 1.7km
- Calle de Alcalá - 30m
- Puerta de Alcalá - 800m
- Plaza de Cibeles - 300m
- Puerta del Sol - 650m
- Parque del Retiro - 950m
- Prado Museum - 700m
- Reina Sofía Art Centre – 1.4km
- Thyssen Bornemisza Museum - 280m
WHAT TO DO IN MADRID
- Milla de Oro. Take a break and enjoy an afternoon shopping in Madrid in the most exclusive boutiques in the city.
- Tapas. Madrid is famous for its Mediterranean cuisine and its bars. Enjoy a tapas evening in the “barrios” of La Latina, Huertas and Salamanca.
- San Miguel Market. Old Madrid market where you can taste and buy some delicious delicatessen items.
- Tourist routes and excursions. Tours on foot through modern Madrid, Barrio de las Letras, historic Madrid, Madrid of the Austrias… Day trips to cities such as Toledo, Segovia and Aranjuez, famous for their cultural interest.
- Museums. The Prado Museum, the Reina Sofía and the Thyssen Bornemisza.
- Santiago Bernabéu Museum. Journey through the history of one of the most successful teams of the 20th century. Trophies, changing rooms, the pitch…
- Parque del Retiro. The lungs of the city and one of the most outstanding parks in Madrid.
- Theme parks
- Madrid Zoo Aquarium. Located nearthe Parque de Atracciones.
- Warner Park. Rides and shows for all the family.
- Faunia. Known as the nature theme park, discover more than 5,000 animals and 700 species.
The traditional dishes are:
- Cocido madrileño (Madrid stew)
- Chickpea stew
- Madrilenian tripe
- Garlic soup
- Spanish or potato omelette