"At Meliá Hotels International we aim to integrate the values and principles of sustainable development into our business processes and our relationship with all of our stakeholders (employees, clients, owners, investors, suppliers, society and the environment).
We believe that sustainability is a key factor which will allow tourism to continue to be a driver of economic growth. That is why we are committed to constant improvement and to ensure our future thanks to the responsible use of resources.
We would like our commitment and actions to help strengthen our relationship with our stakeholders. It makes us different and reinforces our position as a responsible, stable, safe and attractive company for all those who come to us."
CORPORATE COMMITMENTS TO...
We help conserve the environment, evaluating the impact of our activities and promoting awareness of sustainability amongst our stakeholders.
The local community
We contribute to the development of the local community, supporting and promoting their culture and traditional values.
We actively contribute to the generation of wealth and the sustainable development of the communities in which we operate, with a special focus on children and the most vulnerable.
MELIÁ ATLÁNTICO ISLA CANELA INITIATIVE Accessibility
- The hotel respects the needs of the disabled or persons with reduced mobility
- We are a "Friend of UNICEF" hotel and take part in MHI's strategic partnership with UNICEF
- We support campaigns and actions targeting groups at risk of social exclusion
- We take part in skills-building actions or training programmes targeting underprivileged groups or persons at risk of social exclusion
- We take part in and cooperates with training and professional development institutions
Biodiversity and the Environment
- We apply initiatives aimed at reducing, minimising or eliminating pollution in general, as part of its commitment to the environment and guests' health and wellbeing
- There is a significant presence of autochthonous flora in the hotel's green areas
Architectural conservation and the responsible use of materials
- The hotel stands in a natural setting
Energy and Climate Change
- There is a significant use of time switches and other lighting control systems
- We calculate the carbon footprint for the events we organize
Local and Healthy Gastronomy
- Culinary offer includes organic produce
- The menus feature locally-sourced produce prepared in its kitchens
- Special menus available for guests with specific dietary requirements or food intolerance
- The hotel has customer service agreements with nearby restaurants and businesses
Waste Management and Recycling
- Our product purchases are made in bulk
- There are closed agreements with suppliers designed to cut down on packaging
- Our cleaning teams use concentrated cleaning products
- We use biodegradable products
- We have a selective waste collection programme included in our management systems and operations
- We offer a service for the destruction and recycling of documents
- We stock reusable materials (e.g. table linen)
- We have an internal paper reuse policy
- We encouraged and apply the use of recicled paper
- Guests are offered the possibility of receiving their bills by email
- Our guests are provided with a selective waste collection service in the rooms or communal areas
- The hotel has easy or close access to the public transport network, connecting it to the surroundings or destination
- The hotel provides guests with details of public and/or eco-friendly transport facilities and fares
- Guests are provided with details of cultural sites and activities in the surrounding area
- The design and décor features aspects of local traditions and culture
- Guests have access to information about local or regional traditions and festivals
Relations with responsible suppliers
- Our gastronomic offer includes the use of seasonal products