TAPAS IN CÁDIZ TOUR
My name is Javier Castañeda and I am one of the gastronomy experts at the TRYP La Caleta. Before starting, I would like say that Cadiz is the ideal city to enjoy tapas, due to the variety, quality and the great atmosphere created by each bar.
MY FAVOURITE PLACES
We are going to do a little tour of the old quarter:
FREIDURÍA LAS FLORES (PZA TOPETE)
- In the midst of Plaza Topete (commonly called Plaza de las Flores), is this great “fryer”, where you can enjoy the traditional Cadiz fried pescaíto … cuttlefish, dogfish, eggs, and at lunch time, the paella and risotto are some of their specialties
TABERNA LA ANTIQUA (CALLE LIBERTAD, 13)
- Very near the Freiduría las Flores, on one side of Plaza de Abastos, is this tavern run by Antonio and José Luis, where you can try the most traditional local tapas, prepared with care with a bit of a twist. You cannot leave Cadiz without trying its anchovies in vinegar with salmorejo or the cheese and tomato puff pastry
- And if you like montaítos… try the las “babuchas” and ask where they got the idea from for this amazing dish
CASA MANTECA (CORRALÓN DE LOS CARROS, 66)
- Let’s go now to the Barrio de la Viña. Tavern, inn or whatever you want to call it … the name is not important when you try one of their chacinas (pork). It is perhaps the most typical tapas bar in Cadiz. Chicharrones, hams, Iberian products… all served in a very peculiar way, in one of the spaces with most art in the area
RESTAURANTE EL FARO (SAN FÉLIX, 15)
- We stay in Barrio de La Viña. Now we are at the most famous restaurant in Cadiz, but we are going to go to its bar, where you can try their scorpion fish pate and delicious shrimp tortillas
CUMBRES MAYORES (CALLE ZORRILLA, 4)
- Let’s leave Barrio de la Viña, and cross the old quarter and head towards Plaza de Mina. Calle Zorrilla finishes in this square and here we can find one of the most well-known tapas bars in Cadiz to try their typical dishes, such as berza, menudo, etc. But its star tapa is without doubt the grilled Iberian pork … for sure you will have seconds!
A LITTLE SECRET
If you don’t have time to go to the city centre, leaving the hotel on the left is Bar Nebraska. Try the mechá con papas and their famous snails (only in season).