CÁDIZ WITH THE FAMILY
My name is Jaquelin Oteo and I am the family expert at the TRYP La Caleta. Cadiz is a small and enchanting city surrounded by the sea.
ONE OF ITS MAIN ATTRACTIONS IS THE BEACH
In the new part of the city or the Puertatierra (as we call this part of the Cadiz):
- The Playa de Cortadura, on the outskirts of the city, a beautiful virgin beach
- The Playa de la Victoria and the Playa de Santa Maria (or the Women’s Little Beach as it is popularly known), in Paseo Marítimo
- In the old quarter: The Playa de la Caleta, the most picturesque of all, between Santa Catalina Castle and San Sebastian Castle
At any of them you can enjoy the stunning sunsets, the white sand and the unique light that always surprises and delights visitors.
Other places of interest to enjoy with the family are the parks. I recommend these three:
- Celestino Mutis Park, recently built, located opposite the House of the Arts of Cadiz, near El Corte Inglés. This park has a great playground
- Varela Park, located in the main avenue of Cadiz, going towards the old quarter
- Genovés Park, in the old quarter, in Avda. Dr. Gómez Ulla, the lungs of the city with a wide variety of trees from around the world. As you walk round it with the kids you will discover the grotto with its waterfall and the little lake with ducks, and try to find the dinosaurs which they have placed in different parts of the park. It is very close to the Gran Teatro Falla where they celebrate the famous Cadiz Carnival competition
Near the Plaza de las Tortugas, in Av. Ramón de Carranza nº 16, the Provincal Public Library (tel.: 856 58 37 48) organises activities such as story telling for kids.
There are also two places specially designed for kids: the Chiqui Park, open all year round located in the Zona Franca, in C/ Eslovaquia, a great place with games and activities; and, in summer, and very close to the TRYP La Caleta, La Ballena Azul, children’s play area right on the beach.
WHERE TO EAT
- In the new part of the city: Burger King (Paseo Marítimo 5) and McDonalds (Av. Cayetano del Toro 24)
- In the old quarter: Foster’s Hollywood (Pl. de San Juan de Dios 1) and Burger King (Av. Del Puerto 2)
SOMEWHERE TO HAVE A QUICK BITE
- Tapas in the bars of the Barrio del Pópulo, the Barrio de la Viña and the traditional “pescaíto frito” in the most famous bars such as Las Flores, in Pl. de las Flores/Pl. Topete (old quarter) or in C/ Brasil (next to the hotel)