"At Meliá Hotels International we aim to integrate the values and principles of sustainable development into our business processes and our relationship with all of our stakeholders (employees, clients, owners, investors, suppliers, society and the environment).
We believe that sustainability is a key factor which will allow tourism to continue to be a driver of economic growth. That is why we are committed to constant improvement and to ensure our future thanks to the responsible use of resources.
We would like our commitment and actions to help strengthen our relationship with our stakeholders. It makes us different and reinforces our position as a responsible, stable, safe and attractive company for all those who come to us."
CORPORATE COMMITMENTS TO...
We help conserve the environment, evaluating the impact of our activities and promoting awareness of sustainability amongst our stakeholders.
The local community
We contribute to the development of the local community, supporting and promoting their culture and traditional values.
We actively contribute to the generation of wealth and the sustainable development of the communities in which we operate, with a special focus on children and the most vulnerable.
MELIÁ VILLAITANA INITIATIVES
- The hotel respects the needs of the disabled or persons with reduced mobility
- We are a "Friend of UNICEF" hotel and take part in MHI's strategic partnership with UNICEF
- We support campaigns and actions targeting groups at risk of social exclusion
Architectural conservation and the responsible use of materials
- The hotel stands in a natural setting
Energy and Climate Change
- The hotel belongs to SAVE, Meliá Hotels International's Energy Efficiency Project (a corporate programme)
- The hotel is equipped with lighting presence detectors
- There are electric vehicle parking spaces available for guests
Local and Healthy Gastronomy
- The hotel hosts gastronomy events
- Culinary offer includes organic produce
- Culinary offer includes produce from ecological livestock farming and agriculture
- The menus feature locally-sourced produce prepared in its kitchens
- Special menus available for guests with specific dietary requirements or food intolerance
- The hotel has customer service agreements with nearby restaurants and businesses
Waste Management and Recycling
- There are closed agreements with suppliers designed to cut down on packaging
- We offer a service for the destruction and recycling of documents
- The hotel works to raise guests' awareness of the benefits of public transport as the best means of getting around the area
- The hotel uses products with a low environmental impact
- We use eco-friendly products
- We use products with a sustainable forest management certification (FSC)
- Guests are provided with details of cultural sites and activities in the surrounding area
- The hotel raises awareness of and promotes local culture (photography, painting, sculpture, music, dance, theatre and art)
- The design and décor features aspects of local traditions and culture
- Cultural events to promote local culture are organized at the hotel
- Guests have access to information about local or regional traditions and festivals
Water Use Reduction
- Treated water is reused for cisterns or garden irrigation systems
- The hotel is supplied with water from desalination plants
- The hotel has its own water treatment system
Relations with responsible suppliers
- We use products based on sustainable production, use and disposal processes (specified in greater detail above)
- The hotel applies responsible policies, processes and agreements in its dealings with suppliers
- Where appropriate, we purchase local products that contribute to the development of the surrounding area
- Our gastronomic offer includes the use of seasonal products