Tel: (0049) 30 29 303 0Fax: (0049) 30 29 303 199
N +52º 30' 45.61" / W +13º 25' 56.31"
The hotel is built within a listed building which could not be demolished back in 1993 – 1996 when the office building next to the hotel was built.
The original structure was built between 1871 – 1873 by Hermann Blankenstein (architect and teacher at the famous Bauakademie Berlin, founded in 1799 by German Emperor Friedrich Wilhelm III, and from 1872 the “Stadtbaurat” in Berlin, responsible for more than 100 public buildings, mainly schools, but also hospitals and administrative buildings). The original structure was built in the tradition of Berlin’s most famous and most important architect and city planner, Karl Friedrich Schinkel (architect of buildings like the Altes Museum, Schauspielhaus at Gendarmenmarkt, Friedrichwerdersche Kirche and the Berliner Bauakademie). Following this tradition, the façade is made of red bricks. Another sign are the bow windows. When the building was finished it was used as a school with the name “Andreas-Realgymnasium”.
The area around Ostbahnhof and especially the Lange Strasse is historically important, particularly Lange Strasse 22, where a man named Wilhelm Voigt used to live. In 1906 Wilhelm Voigt became famous worldwide as the “Hauptmann von Köpenick” (The Captain of Köpenick). He may have carried out his coup in Köpenick but the idea definitely started here in Friedrichshain.
The area around Ostbahnhof (formerly Schlesischer Bahnhof) used to be highly overpopulated with tenement buildings and numerous backyards with small businesses, mostly craftsmen. On every corner there was a pub (in Berlin: Kneipe) for people to have a beer, a Kümmel and a Korn. Alcoholism, crime and prostitution were rife. There were police raids almost daily. Of course, hardly any of these buildings survived World War II. Nowadays, the area is a quiet residential area.