"At Meliá Hotels International we aim to integrate the values and principles of sustainable development into our business processes and our relationship with all of our stakeholders (employees, clients, owners, investors, suppliers, society and the environment).
We believe that sustainability is a key factor which will allow tourism to continue to be a driver of economic growth. That is why we are committed to constant improvement and to ensure our future thanks to the responsible use of resources.
We would like our commitment and actions to help strengthen our relationship with our stakeholders. It makes us different and reinforces our position as a responsible, stable, safe and attractive company for all those who come to us."
CORPORATE COMMITMENTS TO...
We help conserve the environment, evaluating the impact of our activities and promoting awareness of sustainability amongst our stakeholders.
The local community
We contribute to the development of the local community, supporting and promoting their culture and traditional values.
We actively contribute to the generation of wealth and the sustainable development of the communities in which we operate, with a special focus on children and the most vulnerable.
MELIÁ CARIBE TROPICAL INITIATIVE
- We are a "Friend of UNICEF" hotel and take part in MHI's strategic partnership with UNICEF
- We participate in programmes to promote the responsible conservation of the destination
Biodiversity and the Environment
- The hotel applies initiatives for the maintenance, conservation and elimination of waste from the surrounding areas (beaches, rivers, wetlands, forests, etc.)
- We are involved with the protection and recovery of natural spaces of major environmental importance
- We collaborate with the protection of endangered species and those at risk of extinction
- We collaborate with local initiatives for the conservation of the environment, flora and fauna
- We encourage our guests to become aware of and get involved in biodiversity conservation actions
Architectural conservation and the responsible use of materials
- TThe hotel stands in a natural setting
- Environmentally-friendly materials were used in the construction of the hotel
- Environmentally-friendly materials were used in any rehabilitation work that may have been carried out
- Environmentally-friendly materials were used in any refurbishment work that may have been carried out in the hotel
- The furniture is made from recycled materials
Energy and Climate Change
- The hotel belongs to SAVE, Meliá Hotels International's Energy Efficiency Project (a corporate programme)
- The hotel offers guests a compensation service for the emissions generated by their stay
- Our collaborators receive training in environmental issues
Local and Healthy Gastronomy
- Culinary offer includes organic produce
- Culinary offer includes produce from ecological livestock farming and agriculture
- The hotel works to raise guests' awareness of the benefits of public transport as the best means of getting around the area
- Charging stations for electric vehicles are available at the hotel
- We use products with a sustainable forest management certification (FSC)
- Cultural and social events are organized regularly
- Guests are provided with details of cultural sites and activities in the surrounding area
- Cultural events to promote local culture are organized at the hotel
- Local arts and craft are promoted and supported
- Conservation of local culture and identity are promoted through programmes and actions
- The hotel is involved in programmes to promote the recovery of local and autochthonous traditions as well as architectural heritage
Water Use Reduction
- The hotel is supplied with water from desalination plants
- We work to raise guests' awareness of the need for responsible water consumption during their stay
Relations with responsible suppliers
- The hotel applies responsible policies, processes and agreements in its dealings with suppliers
- Where appropriate, we purchase local products that contribute to the development of the surrounding area
- Our gastronomic offer includes the use of seasonal products